Loewe    Opinion

Is the Loewe Puzzle Bag the Perfect Bag for Everyone?

All signs point to yes...

Founded in Madrid in 1846, Loewe began as a leather goods company and continues to focus on that craft. As a handbag lover in 2024, when you think of Loewe, the Loewe Puzzle Bag is likely the first thing that comes to mind.

The Puzzle marked a new chapter for Loewe as it was the first bag launched under then-new Creative Director Jonathon Anderson. It also celebrated a new milestone for the LVMH-owned House as it was the first time a new handbag silhouette joined the Loewe line-up in general.

Distinctly Versatile

While the Loewe Puzzle Bag has only been around for a decade, it has quickly become synonymous with the House. Its distinct shape is incredibly versatile, somehow simultaneously modern and classic.

Shop This Story
Loewe Puzzle Vanilla
LOEWE Small Puzzle Bag
$3,500 via Loewe

That versatility is a tricky balance to strike, and while many bags have been around for longer, the Puzzle Bag has quickly won the hearts of handbag lovers of all ages and styles.

Style truly has no age. We are firm (and I mean firm) believers that people should wear whatever makes them feel stylish, confident, and comfortable in their own skin. Still, there is something so refreshing about a bag (and a brand) that is loved by all. Loewe, specifically the Puzzle Bag, fits that bill.

Loewe Puzzle Bag Tan
A PFW attendee carries the Loewe Puzzle Bag
Loewe BiColor Bag
My Mom picking out her Puzzle Bag

From my 70-year-old mother’s bi-color Puzzle to a mom of two, Megs’ Puzzle Solid, and one of my collection’s most cherished bags, the Loewe Puzzle Hobo, the Puzzle is truly the bag for all. Plus, initially made for men, two of my most stylish male friends own Puzzle Bags, too—and it’s a bag we have bonded over!

In addition, in the last few years, Jonathon Anderson has expanded the Puzzle line, and there are more options than ever, offering the same air of versatile fashion. Rarely is a bag so loved by so many people in many different phases (and stages) of life.

Shop the entire Puzzle family via Loewe.

Susan
Susan
23 days ago

I sold my Puzzle bag last year. The quality was underwhelming and it was always too fussy for me. To me, this bag is more about trend than classic.

Jolie
Jolie
9 days ago
Reply to  Susan

Me too! I sold mine and never regretted it. It was an impulse buy when I visited Barcelona…

Fae
Fae
22 days ago
Reply to  Susan

I sold mine too, but just bcs I’ve found my other true everyday Loewe bag (read: the Hammock). I still think it’s an iconic gateway to Loewe for most people, me included, but it’s a bit too boxy for my frame when being worn crossbody (which is exactly where the Hammock excels at)

Kaly
Kaly
16 days ago
Reply to  Fae

I love my Hammock! Such an underrated bag!

daveloeweyou
daveloeweyou
22 days ago
Reply to  Susan

Ten years of trend….

Marine
Marine
13 days ago
Reply to  daveloeweyou

Crocs have been around for over two decades… what’s your point?

Ray
Ray
23 days ago
Reply to  Susan

That’s interesting you say that. I was actually hoping to get more from this article about what makes the puzzle great for everyone, but don’t think the article answered that. I hear that it’s great, but not WHY it is great. I wondered if it was more hype than substance.

Megs Mahoney Dusil
Admin
Megs Mahoney Dusil
21 days ago
Reply to  Ray

I wrote a review on it a while back and much of it holds true – granted the version I reviewed has zippers which were problematic and got stuck on my sweater but otherwise, the review works for the Puzzle! https://www.purseblog.com/purseonals/loewe-puzzle-bag/

Rataillon
Rataillon
22 days ago

I don’t understand the fascination with this purse. It looks awkward. I tried it on and didn’t love it like everyone else who seems obsessed with it. Not for me!

J B
J B
22 days ago

$3500? Not great for anyone.

Baghag
Baghag
16 days ago
Reply to  J B

Well worth it, IMO. I own two and get more compliments than with my Chanel bags.

Alice
Alice
15 days ago
Reply to  Baghag

lol you got conned twice. 🫠

Baghag
Baghag
15 days ago
Reply to  Alice

Move along, peasant.

Alice
Alice
15 days ago
Reply to  Baghag

Clearly, money can’t buy taste and class. 👸🏾

Bill
Bill
12 days ago
Reply to  Alice

Try having money first before judging others 🥴

Alice
Alice
10 days ago
Reply to  Bill

Don’t worry about my bank account. I am very grateful for how privileged I am and you should be too. ✌️

Marion
Marion
22 days ago

I just find this bag ugly.

Baghag
Baghag
16 days ago
Reply to  Marion

As some may find you

Marine
Marine
13 days ago
Reply to  Baghag

I see the school bully has arrived in the comment section…

Marion
Marion
15 days ago
Reply to  Baghag

I’m sorry you are so easily triggered by a stranger’s comment on the internet about a handbag. I hope your mental health improves quickly. 🩷🩵

MacD
MacD
22 days ago

I am probably in the minority but I don’t love the puzzle bag. I think Loewe offers many other bags that are much more attractive.

Juliette
Juliette
20 days ago

In my opinion, this bag is totally overhyped.

daveloeweyou
daveloeweyou
23 days ago

We open a debate. Classic or Edge Puzzle??? I prefer Classic…

N R
N R
22 days ago
Reply to  daveloeweyou

Classic > Edge

Julie
Julie
22 days ago

I have a small in clay and it’s a beautiful, well-made bag. The leather is TDF, it’s easy to carry by hand or crossbody and is under the radar enough where I live that it doesn’t scream designer bag. I always get asked about it when I wear it and it still looks new. Absolutely worth the money and a classic IMHO

Yaya
Yaya
17 days ago

I want to love this bag… but I don’t.

Katie Boston
Katie Boston
16 days ago
Reply to  Yaya

Same. I bought one because I was seeing it everywhere but then I realized that it’s not a bag for me at all. I just fell victim to the trend and almost instantly regretted it.

B S
B S
17 days ago

I have three puzzle bags and LOVE them. I think the puzzle is the perfect mix of interesting design, sporty, edgy, unique. The versatility in how they can be worn can’t be beat. They work cross body, on the shoulder, on the crook of the arm or carried by the handle. My medium size puzzle can be worn like a backpack. I got mine before they blew up on social media – it was love at first sight for me when they were launched. It’s so annoying to her people say they are too trendy. These bags have been around for 10 years and just bc the influencers recently started to notice them doesn’t mean they are trendy. The puzzle is a classic bag. The functionally may not be for everyone but I absolutely love mine.

Bardella
Bardella
15 days ago

I prefer to save my money and buy a classic like another Kelly or Birkin. I find that these mid-tier luxury bags don’t have the lasting power of true classics like Hermès or even Chanel.

October_sky
October_sky
14 days ago
Reply to  Bardella

I don’t think Loewe is trying to be in the tier of Hermes and Chanel , the target consumers are different. Loewe is very under the radar kind of brand and is considered quieter luxury, but Hermes with the Birkins and Kellys are made for grabbing attention

Bardella
Bardella
14 days ago
Reply to  October_sky

You must be kidding, right? Loewe keeps releasing all kinds of bags with their brand name and logo splatter across in big font. It’s “quiet luxury” for the blind, at best. Thanks for the good laugh.

daveloeweyou
daveloeweyou
11 days ago
Reply to  Bardella

Loewe has models of all kinds. Some you can see the logo, clearly, usually those of raffia and the vast majority of the logo you have to look for it. For example, in the photos of the Puzzle, do you see the logo?

October_sky
October_sky
14 days ago
Reply to  Bardella

Ok go back to your cave and save up every cent you have for that Birkin and Kelly, will only take 40 years , ha ha

Bardella
Bardella
13 days ago
Reply to  October_sky

As noted in my original post, I already own a Birkin 30 and a Kelly… and I am lucky enough to be in a comfortable financial position. However, there is nothing wrong with someone saving their hard-earned cash to purchase their dream bag. Thus, your decision to try and shame a stranger on the internet for being poor is quite repulsive—it says a lot about your inability to empathize, which is the primary sign of an evolved brain. So now we all know where we stand!

October_sky
October_sky
12 days ago
Reply to  Bardella

Listen Bordello! My intention isn’t to shame the poor but morons like you who dont seem to know how to talk to people . Looking down on brands lower than Hermes and the people who buy them is just another way of shaming folks who can’t be in your league. Get your head out of the sand and learn some manners!

Bardella
Bardella
9 days ago
Reply to  October_sky

Your rudeness and bitterness are simply signs of your ever-growing insecurities.

October_sky
October_sky
7 days ago
Reply to  Bardella

The pot calling the kettle black. Anyways I am done sparring with half-wits over the internet

Bardella
Bardella
12 hours ago
Reply to  October_sky

Are you now? Yet you can’t seem to stop replying and you can’t seem to have a conversation without name calling… Says a lot about you. Wishing you well!

destiny
destiny
22 days ago

Not for me. I tried a small classic puzzle last fall and couldn’t get past the small zip opening. Also ever since they changed the design to the edge it’s less appealing to me.

Thefashionableteacher
Thefashionableteacher
21 days ago

Meh. I’ve tried this bag in store several times. I don’t find it easy to use. Getting in and out was too fiddle-y.

Eileen
Eileen
20 days ago

I’m obsessed with my medium black puzzle bag. It’s light yet holds a sprising amoung and I can walk all around NYC with it crossbody and still feel chic. I got mine preowned and it’s definitely the bag I grab the most.