There’s an old saying about the only sure things in life being death and taxes, but if you’re a handbag buyer, there’s another inevitability: price increases. With brands like Chanel, Hermès and Louis Vuitton, they’re fairly easy to track; because the bags are only available from the company’s boutiques, all the new product arrives at once and sales associates warn their loyal customers in advance. With brands that wholesale bags to third-party retailers and department stores, it’s a little trickier.

Because we have a wealth of back-data on bag prices to sift through (hello, PurseBlog post archives), we selected eight super-popular bags from brands that sell their wares at department stores and did some spot-checks to see how much, if at all, the prices have gone up for the versions that have just arrived in stores. Almost all of them had, and we’ve detailed the price differences below.

In a couple instances, there are still old-priced bags available online, and a particularly resourceful sales associate at your local department store may also be able to find you one of the lower-priced bags in store.

Valentino Medium Rockstud Trapeze Tote
Previous Price: $2,395
Current Price: $2,495

Net-a-Porter and Nordstrom both have previous-season bags at the lower price, so if you’re thinking about adding Rockstuds to your wardrobe, those are the bags to scoop up immediately.

Valentino-Medium-Rockstud-Tote

Saint Laurent Sac de Jour Large Tote
Previous Price: $2,950
Current Price: $3,490

This was easily the largest price increase we found among popular bags; Saint Laurent’s Sac de Jour is both a celebrity and consumer favorite, and the brand clearly thinks that interest will persevere through a steep jump in price.

Saint-Laurent-Sac-de-Jour-Tote-Large

Gucci Jackie Soft Shoulder Bag
Previous Price: $2,350
Current Price: $2,350

Despite the Jackie Soft collection’s warm reception by shoppers, Gucci seems to have taken a conservative track on price increases because of the change in the brand’s creative control.

Gucci-Jackie-Soft-Shoulder-Bag

Givenchy Antigona Bag
Previous Price: $2,405
Current Price: $2,435

In the grand scheme of things, this is a barely noticeable change.

Givenchy-Antigona-Bag

Fendi Petite 3Jours Tote
Previous Price: $2,550
Current Price: $2,650

This price increase is definitely brand new for Spring 2015; some retailers still have Resort 2015 bags available for the old price, including Saks.

Fendi-Petite-3Jours

Coach Dakotah Rivets Bag
Previous Price: $525
Current Price: $525

Coach’s current lineup is fairly new and the contemporary market is more price sensitive than higher tiers, so it makes sense that prices at the brand are stable lately.

Coach-Dakotah-Rivets-Bag

Céline Tricolor Mini Luggage Tote
Previous Price: $3,450
Current Price: $3,450

Céline went crazy with price increases when the Luggage Tote first became popular (it originally retailed for $1,750!), but the brand seems to have found some chill; Céline’s last price increase was in Spring 2014.

Celine-Tricolor-Mini-Luggage-Tote

Balenciaga Classic City Bag
Previous Price: $1,545
Current Price: $1,835

I remember very clearly when this bag was $1,195, which makes me feel juuuust a little bit old.

Balenciaga-Classic-City-Bag

Aoedele
Aoedele

Lol, I can’t afford any of those bags, so the prices did increase for me.

Zak Pulaski
Zak Pulaski
Reply to  Aoedele

I recently bought a Knomo bag from http://www.devoved.com, should check it out. They have quite a unique collections for leather bags, appears to be some European Band collection.

B
B

Wish some of the prices weren’t so high. Thankfully I got my sac de jour before that increase. As far as Celine, from the original price to what it is now…wow. Glad they didn’t increase. Here is a question, do these bags ever have a price decrease? Say if they become a little less popular as I know I was told on here that Celine luggage is starting to be. Meg told me they hit their peak a couple years ago.

Amanda Mull
Reply to  B

It’d be incredibly rare to see a price decrease on the same bag year-on-year. If a brand felt like it had overshot its market, it would be more likely that it would instead introduce a smaller or or less luxe (calf instead of lambskin, for example) version of a bag to satisfy customers at a lower price level, or to discontinue an expensive bag that had gotten stale and try again with a new line.

Decreasing prices is tricky because it makes a brand feel devalued and unspecial in the eyes of consumers, which can make the pricing problem worse instead of better. It’s wiser to do it with a little bit of smoke and mirrors.

missarewa
missarewa

I’ve always respected Gucci for what I believe is fair pricing, given their brand and the quality of their products.

McGee Jennifer
McGee Jennifer
Reply to  missarewa

Agreed and the quality is exceptional. I still have Gucci monogram clutch in navy from the 70s?

DB
DB
Reply to  missarewa

Totally agree- Gucci seems to be more realistic about affordability

FashionableLena
FashionableLena
Reply to  missarewa

Me, too. At least I know that my saving is still on track!

Megs Mahoney Dusil
Reply to  missarewa

Same!!

dnfl
dnfl

saint Laurent price increase is slightly ridiculous… As if their prices weren’t high enough! the sac du jour is nice, but it hasn’t been around that long and already it’s increased in half a thousand dollars?!

Winn
Winn

What about other sac de jour sizes?

Amanda Mull
Reply to  Winn

We didn’t check the others, but generally brands don’t do spot increases on particular bags or sizes. Usually, when one thing goes up, it’s an indication that everything else has, too.

Lina Lee
Lina Lee

I love Balenciaga Classic City bag.

dekadaye
dekadaye

i remember seeing a celine luggage in 2011 for $1600!

Iréne Shûkriya-Dutta Scharief
Iréne Shûkriya-Dutta Scharief
Reply to  dekadaye

Hahahaha!!! Yes! I bought one for that price and I sold it which I’m so happy about. The old version of luggage now sags like old woman’s titties. Current price is 2000€ and I don’t care about this bag at all. Good thing Celine got it’s medicine. They should always know that an it bag is a fad. SMH.

Fashion and Frappes

Where can I find out about the basic Chanels? The website doesnt give details for the caviar ones…

lainey316
lainey316

The balenciaga rises are an outrage… I couldn’t justify a city ten years ago at €695 ,and said I’d get for my 30th, but local store didn’t stock that year. The increases are so high that now I’ll never feel not ripped off so will never buy!

Katrina
Reply to  lainey316

The increase this time around is quite high. Although it must be said, Balenciaga is still your best bet to find a “classic” (i.e. the City or maybe even the Velo) leather handbag for less than $2,000.

Angela Ofcls

I used to think that Saint Laurent would be worth saving up for, but sadly I don’t feel the same way anymore. I’d rather invest in one from Dior, Givenchy, or Fendi. At least the the quality, and designs of their bags are worth the (steep) price tags.

Want It? Buy Now!