When Reed Krakoff suspended operations in March 2015, the brand’s namesake designer promised that wouldn’t be the last we heard from his company. A little over a year later, he’s back, but at an entirely different price level. REED bags, small accessories and clothing launched this week at Kohl’s online, and the line drops in-store on April 21. If you were a Krakoff fan during the brand’s short run, you might recognize some things.

The line includes three bag and accessory families that also exited in Krakoff’s luxury line: the Boxer, Atlantique and RK40. Although these faux leather iterations max out at $129, many of them are identical to their four-figure inspirations in proportion, detail and overall appearance. The materials may not be as nice, but the aesthetic result isn’t all that far off.

The line will probably irritate longtime Krakoff clients whose $2,000 bags suddenly look like they came from a mass-market discount store, but it’s also proof that personal style doesn’t have to be the exclusive province of the wealthy. If low-price retailers make it their priority to offer quality products, those who can’t pay a premium can still feel like they look their best.

Beyond the launch itself, though, this high-profile Kohl’s collab is a strong clue that Krakoff doesn’t intend to return to the luxury market under his own name; luxury consumers are very sensitive to branding, and selling his designs at their original prices would be basically impossible while their REED-branded counterparts are available for 80 or 90 bucks in perpetuity.

Check out the three big bag groups from the line below or shop the entire selection via Kohl’s.

REED Atlantique Bags
$15 to $129 via Kohl’s

Reed-x-Kohls-Atlantique-Bags

REED Boxer Bags
$15 to $119 via Kohl’s

Reed-x-Kohls-Boxer-Bags

REED RK40 Bags
$15 to $129 va Kohl’s

Reed-x-Kohls-RK40-Bags

FashionableLena
FashionableLena

I don’t shop at Kohl’s, but this has me intrigued. I plan on seeing them in person as I really like the hot pink bag.
I still don’t understand not wearing a bag that you love because a cheaper version is made available. Personally, I could care less what anyone thinks of my bags. I don’t see anyone woman not wearing their Chanel bags when there are designers creating very similar styles.

Kate
Kate

I can see both sides. For some people, exclusivity is part of the attraction of luxury items. If you’ve worked really hard to be successful and left behind the days when you had to shop for inexpensive bags at places like discount department stores, you may not want to look like you still shop there. I get it. I worked my way through law school, entirely on my own without my parents’ support, and when I was able to acquire my first luxury handbag, I was acquiring a status symbol I had earned and an outward telegraphing of my own hard-earned success. I was proud of it after years of struggle on a threadbare student budget. On the other hand, I’m more secure now, more confident and generally more sophisticated, so I’m less likely to need to communicate my success through my possessions, but having once been there myself I can’t judge others for it.

?? ?
?? ?
Reply to  Kate

wow! your reply is the most reasonable one! with little subjective feelings but a lot objective insights!

Smithy
Smithy
Reply to  Kate

I too wonder what ever compelled me to want to flaunt a designer bag. I’m much happier now with Rick Owens and Akris — not a name to be seen but a very well made bag.

Sophie Proust
Sophie Proust
Reply to  Kate

Very well put.

leechiyong
leechiyong

Agreed. I have three original RK bags and two of the bag charms and a
dress from the Kohl’s line. I buy high-end bags for the longevity, not
the name, and recognize not everyone has the luxury to spend that
thousands on a handbag.

Dani
Dani

Are the luggage tags removable? Cause if so I’d like to see the quality up close as well. Loved his designer bags though I never got around to buying one, but to me these would seem to sell much in the same way as many other designer collabs for Target or Kohl’s have sold in the past – often highly covetable

Jennifer
Jennifer

I have a Reed Krakoff Atlantique and a color block Boxer. I have to say that the Kohl’s line bothers me. The analogy of comparing cheaper “designer-inspired” bags to Chanel isn’t quite right, a better analogy would be to compare Canal street Chanel street forgeries to Chanel. These bags aren’t similar. They are almost identical.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  Jennifer

I can completely understand why you feel that way.

shopper
shopper

I think its great. Lack of money doesn’t mean lack of good taste.

Ruby
Ruby
Reply to  shopper

Good design should be available to everyone in good materials at all price points. Or, at least they should be, if you value design and fashion on their own merits and feel they have a real value in our enjoyment of life. Perhaps this leads to the asking of uncomfortable questions about the real value of many very expensive bags.

Even the high end designer bags have become so derivative of each other the past couple of years. Why do call low end retailers on the copy-catting and not the high?

Oh well, so be it.

Finem Lauda
Finem Lauda
Reply to  Ruby

Thank you for saying this without cursing as much as I would’ve

liddygirl
liddygirl

Kohl’s seems to buy up bankrupt designers. Juicy sweats anyone?

laura
laura

I really like these new cheap bags but I’m glad I never bought one from the premier line, I would be furious that my $1000 bag looks exactly the same as a $100 one. Seriously, this is an insult from Reed Krakoff to past customers.

Kandra James
Reply to  laura

I agree, as I am one who bought the originals, three bags to be exact. And they are favs in my collection. I was and am very impressed with the quality of craftsmanship of his leather goods. I also have two pair of shoes that are well made, quality materials and just darn cute. While I picked up two bags and both shoes at the upstate NY outlet (thus not paying retail), I still paid full price for the third handbag at Saks.

I am, somewhat insulted.

Stina Sias
Stina Sias
Reply to  Kandra James

If it makes you feel any better the fake leather really doesn’t look as nice as the real leather, I bought one and returned it to Kohls

missarewa

oh my goodness! so they basically just knocked off their own designs and made them in pleather for sale at Kohls? this is the reason I’m not a fan of contemporary designers. uhm no.

8Lovelee .
8Lovelee .

I think this is always the risk you take with contemporary designers. I for one am excited because now I can afford a bag “designed” by Reed. I am definitely going to Kohl’s to check out the Boxer Large Satchel. As for him not being able to go back to high end using his own name – I’m sure he’ll be crying all the way to the bank!

pixiegirlie
pixiegirlie

I always liked his bags but never got around to getting one because of the price point. Even though I have bags in that price point for some reason I couldn’t justify it for his bags. I enjoyed the simplicity in his designs however it feels like a mash up of several other popular bag designs so not quite just different enough to tip me over and take the plunge. I will check them out at kohl’s and see what they are like. It looks like the larger bags are over $100 so I wonder if they are made with real leather. Mostly because I feel like that’s a high price point for a handbag for the average kohl’s customer, especially if they are pleather. I shop at kohl’s a lot so I understand their inflated pricing game, always putting a arbitrary high price on something and then put it on “sale” for a more reasonable price so you think your getting a deal.

Scottsdale Kim
Scottsdale Kim

This is a slap in the face to those that supported the brand. I owned two boxer bags and fortunately sold one while it was still worth something. My remaining bag is a mini and looks almost identical to the Kohl’s version.

All of our original purchases just tanked in value. I know no one that knows who Reed Krakoff is so I could care less about the snob factor and having a bag like mine at Kohl’s. I’m mad that I bought Reed Krakoff at Saks when I could have just bought a Reed at Kohl’s instead.

Now At Auction