When I was pulling celebrity images for our weekly roundup last week, I, like some of you, was struck by the image of Sharon Osbourne with her Vintage Lady Dior bag. It hit me that the Lady Dior bag just may be one of the, if not the, most timeless bags of modern handbag history. Its classic shape may make it an ageless icon, but it is sneakily versatile, working well for nearly any age or style aesthetic. It’s that versatility that is no easy feat for a handbag, and it’s why the Lady Dior can arguably be considered the bag of our time.

The Lady Dior was given its name in 1995, when it was carried by the late, great style icon Lady Diana, Princess of Wales. And from that moment, almost 3 full decades ago, it cemented itself as an icon, synonymous with the House of Dior, worn by some of the world’s most stylish celebrities and influential people. And while other It-Bags of our time have come, gone, and come back, the Lady Dior has remained a mainstay for the House of Dior, reimagined season after season in countless iterations.

Lady Diana

Rihanna

Chiara Ferragni

Chiara Ferragni

The bag itself is incredibly clean and sleek in its design, with strong architectural lines that allow the bag’s Cannage motif to take center stage. Simple, yet unmistakably Dior, as with other House icons, the Lady Dior pays homage to House elements. The bag’s charms are an ode to the lucky charms Christian Dior always kept with him, and the Cannage leather can be traced back to the Napoleon III seats the House used to set up for guests at fashion shows.

But what remains so striking about this bag is how it is truly for everyone. Few bags boast the versatility of the Lady Dior, having been carried by royalty, celebrities, fashion’s most elite, and your average handbag lover and worn with virtually every style aesthetic from the dressiest of outfits to the most casual. That makes this one of the, if not the, most timeless bags of modern handbag history. Do you agree?

Sego-Irm
Sego-Irm
28 days ago

It’s a great bag but I wouldn’t say it’s “the” bag. I see far more many chanel classics and birkins around NYC. Outside of celebrities I honestly don’t see them in the wild that much.

Donna Bowers
Donna Bowers
24 days ago

Not a fan. I am an old lady (lol) and it looks old lady to me. Also not very practical with the closing.

Terri
Terri
29 days ago

Def a versatile bag! Forever iconic.

ROSE
ROSE
25 days ago

Definitely one of my favorite bags! However, the Chanel classic and Hermes (B&K) are the undisputed Champions in the classic category.

psny15
psny15
29 days ago

I love the lady dior bag as its versatile enough to be dressed down or dress up

Rosendo Garcia JR
Rosendo Garcia JR
29 days ago

i want a soft lady dior large, the vintage, or the other ones have a very structure base and the sides that the top makes it hard to go in and out, but other than that I love it, such a classic bag very versatile, and also can be dressed up and down and look super cute, I used to wear it with jeans, and it looked super cute, and then I would used it dress up and looks like a million dollars.

Ciarra
Ciarra
28 days ago

I love my mini lady dior…thinking of adding a new one…possible the ultramatte black or the patent green!

Irene
Irene
29 days ago

My all time favorite ❤️

Gayle
Gayle
26 days ago

Ive been wanting one in the tricolor version for the past 2 years. Hoping i can finally get one next year.

JDL
JDL
24 days ago

One of the greatest bags I had the pleasure of handling in my career! Timeless, beautiful , and definitely the “it” bag of any generation. Lady Di forever!

Jasmine
Jasmine
24 days ago

I like how they’ve worked with the basic bag as a canvas and adapted it to suit various ways of carrying, introduced slightly more eco-friendly fabrics, have them in basic designs and striking, artistic styles, added a thicker strap, made it possible to use as both a day and night bag, multiple sizes. Compared to the other classic like the Chanel flap, Birkin and Kelly. Plus the price point not only makes it more attainable than the others but also more realistic for what it actually is.

PAMELA WALTER
PAMELA WALTER
24 days ago

Have always loved the Lady bag. Finally pulled the plug and got the large size in bright red patent leather to wear during the holidays. Definitely a statement. I’ve had more questions and comments about this bag than any of my other Chanel classics and Hermes Bags. I really love wearing it!!

Most Discussed This Week

Currently Coveting Cassette...

Join The List.

Keep up with PurseBlog by signing up for our newsletter.