We've already covered why you need to own a Balenciaga motorcycle bag and a Chanel flap bag, but those obviously aren't the only iconic bags that a woman needs in her wardrobe. Your bag collection shouldn't be missing a Louis Vuitton Speedy, but if it is, we've got a few things you might want to consider.
1. In the world of designer handbags, they're relatively affordable: Despite the fact that the price of a Speedy has gone up a couple hundred bucks since I bought mine in the late 2000s, they're still something of a steal in the great scheme of designer bags. Speedies start at $890 for the 25 cm monogram version, and for an iconic bag from one of the biggest luxury companies on the planet, you're not going to find a better deal. Bags with similar storied histories and famous followings will set you back thousands of dollars.
2. Don't like monogram? There are dozens of other options: Monogram canvas may be the most popular material for this particular bag, but don't let that fool you in to thinking that it's the only one. A lot of people aren't fond of logo prints (I happen to be one of them), and for those people, there are Damier and Epi leather options always available, as well as whatever graced the runways that season. Fall/Winter 2010 will be of particular interest to Speedy lovers - Vuitton showed nothing but dozens of different Speedys in a variety of leathers and exotics. If you want logos, however, Vuitton comes up with a new version practically every season - watercolor, roses, cherries, pop-art pandas, graffiti. I could go on, but you get the idea.
3. Louis Vuitton bags are practically indestructible: This one requires little explanation for a true bag lover - even people that aren't Vuitton fans know that their bags are historically very well-made, particularly the traditional styles. Also, if your Speedy were to require repair, Vuitton has better service for those kinds of things that almost any other brand I can think of, save for Hermes. As I mentioned previously, however, good luck finding an Hermes bag for less than a grand.
4. The shape can fit in any woman's wardrobe: Speedys range in size from petite to quite large, and if you'd rather not wear a bag on your arm, Vuitton offers a crossbody strap to keep you hands-free. The brand's purists will caution against using it, but crossbodies have become so very modern in the past year that wearing a Speedy as a messenger might actually be a good way to update it. Once you've decided how to carry it, even the 25cm version has plenty of room for all of your daily essentials.
5. If it was good enough for Audrey Hepburn, it should be good enough for most of us: Grace Kelly may have been a fan of Hermes, but Audrey Hepburn was continually photographed wearing her favorite Louis Vuitton Speedy. Some people may say that the bag is played out, but don't let people who chase labels dissuade you from enjoying a bag that has an important historical place in the lineage of the luxury handbag. With all of the different size and design permutations, there's a Speedy out there to suit every style.
For more information on the Louis Vuitton Speedy, please visit Vuitton.com
You can make it your own: The Speedy is among the bags that are part of Louis Vuitton's Mon Monogram program, which allows you to add your initials and several stripes in the color combination of your choosing. If you're worried that everyone already has this bag, then why not make yours one-of-a-kind?