The C(é)line Luggage Tote took the world by storm when it hit the scene back in 2010. Designed by none other than Phoebe Philo herself, the Luggage Tote was not an instant hit as you would imagine. Rather, this unlikely It-bag took a minute to pick up steam before eventually becoming a go-to for fashion’s elite, celebrities, and everyday collectors just like us.

The Luggage Tote would go on to become a staple for Celine, reimagined season after season in countless iterations spanning various leathers, fabrics, and nearly every color you could imagine. Today, the Celine Luggage Tote is still being produced, despite Philo’s exit from the brand back in 2017. An unmistakable icon now synonymous with the Celine brand, is The Luggage Tote a true forever classic, or has it become a dated trend?

New Classic or Dated Trend?

Nearly a year ago, I wrote about the love I still had for the Celine Luggage Tote, and while that hasn’t changed much, I’ve yet to add one to my collection. Recently when scouring the resale market for current deals, I began to ponder why exactly I didn’t take the plunge. Then, Megs was responding to a Q&A on Instagram recently when a follower asked her opinion on the Luggage Tote, and that really got me thinking. Sure, the Luggage has proven its staying power at this point, but when I look, and I mean really look long and hard, at the Luggage Tote, what is it that I see?

The 2010s were a very specific time in fashion. From peplum tops and neon-colored bandage dresses (where in the world is Hervé Léger?) to platform heels and skinny jeans, I realized that I associate the large, winged silhouette of the Luggage Tote with the fashion trends from a decade ago. And while the nostalgia of the Luggage Tote does pull at my heartstrings and bring me back, I feel that it has become sort of dated and overplayed.

A big part of me hates to say it because for so long the Luggage was a bag I loved and lusted after, but I don’t see the shape being simple or sleek enough to remain a true classic; rather I feel the silhouette will always be associated with the 2010s and its fashion. I’m not saying that I dislike the Luggage, nor am I saying that if I owned one, I wouldn’t wear it. But personally, I feel like it’s too late to join the Luggage Tote bandwagon, and for me, this isn’t a case of better late than never, but a case of a missed opportunity (oh well).

Maybe my longing and love for this bag for so long was more about longing for a time that feels like another life ago.

What do you think?

Remi
Remi
17 days ago

I have mine in the Nano which I think is the most timeless size, in a neutral colour. It is so practical and functional, and paired with a more “in” outfit looks amazing. It’s all about the styling to be more current – but I also think, who cares, if you love something go for it! It’s not all about being trendy!

Ren
Ren
14 days ago
Reply to  Remi

Damn if the nano is not perfect! I have it in black and I travel with it everywhere! Unzipped it holds a perfect amount without being heaving, including a small swell bottle and I still look chic AF. Wore it with my new fendi combat boots and all black fit thru Soho today and I still felt hella trendy.

Jennifer
Jennifer
17 days ago

My nano arrived literally this am. I’ve completely adopted the crossbody look (how did we ever get by with those bags tucked under our arms?) & the luggage tote is just interesting enough to work for me. Not a flap, not a camera, but a small bag that can be worn 3 ways. I think it’s timeless. If Coach could resurrect its leather bags from the 90s, Gucci with their logo from the 80s, & LV hitting all points in between, the Luggage tote will be back before it’s gone. Plus fashion is coming back faster & faster now. What’s old will always be new again. I’m old enough to have seen it many times & again, the luggage tote is just interesting enough to have distinctions that will make it a classic. All of the classics were considered dated at one time or another.

Marcy697
Marcy697
17 days ago

I do not have one but wish I did. Every time I see them (especially the nano) I admire the style of the bag. IMO it’s a classic and reminds me of the good ol’ Pheobe days.

psny15
psny15
17 days ago

Wear what you love no matter how old is my mantra

Cloud
Cloud
16 days ago

I have a medium phantom and a nano and I love them both!! Whether I feel like dressing up or wearing something as simple as yoga pants and a hoodie, I know one of them will be my go to!!!

To me, it’s not about whether it’s still trendy or not, it’s about your own preference and how you feel while wearing it.

ILP
ILP
17 days ago

I think that if a bag’s shape and general style are still in, then it doesn’t look dated. So I will carry my not-so-current bags if they look like they could be made today. My Fendi Dotcom is still stylish and looks modern and I like that it wasn’t an “it” bag on everyone’s arm. I wouldn’t purchase a former it bag because it will feel dated when you receive it. But I’d carry it happily if I already owned it.

Susan Kohen
Susan Kohen
17 days ago

I have the nano in black and it my go to bag to use for goin out to dinner. Great size and cross body- have had if for years and still love it and I have many many bags.

Danielle Porreca
Danielle Porreca
17 days ago

If you love it, go for it. I finally got my Medium Pepe Givenchy Pandora earlier this year – I bought a gorgeous dove grey one I found on Poshmark. Not only do I enjoy carrying it every day, I get plenty of compliments on it because Pandoras aren’t seen everywhere nowadays. I also wondered whether I would look dated / off-trend. But once I had it, those reservations went away because it fit my lifestyle (and style) perfectly. So if the Luggage tote fits your needs – and will make you happy – those are good reasons to enjoy carrying something you have always admired.

Ediz
Ediz
17 days ago

I feel the same way about my Pandora! I think it helps that it doesn’t have embellishments/details that will make it look dated. It suits my needs and I’ll happily carry it for a long long time!

ladyet
ladyet
16 days ago

Everytime I look at this bag, I see a robot 🤖 face. Has always been ugly to me.

Penny
Penny
14 days ago

The Luggage Tote is a beautiful bag, no matter what size. I also still like Phoebe Philo’s Trapeze and Box Bags. I have been around long enough to see that what goes around comes around (got my first LV Speedy about 40 years ago!). Remember what’s happening at Prada…..

Sandy
Sandy
17 days ago

I almost purchased a Luggage Tote several times back in the day. I always decided to buy something else, my Chanel kick was in high gear at that time and it always won the contest. I still think it is a great bag.

Gayle
Gayle
17 days ago
Reply to  Sandy

Same here. I love this bag 10 years already but yes i always put chanel and now hermes ahead of it so i dont have any idea when and if i buy this bag at all.

J B
J B
17 days ago

I have never liked the bag – I think it’s the zip pocket in front and wavy details – but find myself coming around to it when I see in neutral colors. Seems very practical and classic. I would buy if I found a good deal.

Christina
Christina
13 days ago

I think the nano size is still very wearable and current.

Most Discussed This Week

Blue Crush

Join The List.

Keep up with PurseBlog by signing up for our newsletter.