Update 10.28.15: Chanel reached out with a statement from a company spokesperson that we added at the end of the article to clarify the policy change.

Last year we had quite a few major Chanel rumors swirling around the PurseForum, and the biggest were about a price increase (which happened) and the Chanel Grand Shopping Tote’s possible discontinuation (more on this soon). Now the change that has Chanel fans at tPF up in arms is the brand’s new refurbishing policy.

It started as a rumor, but we’ve been able to confirm it: as of October 1st, 2015 Chanel will no longer refurbish or refinish bags more than five years old, and the brand will not refurbish or refinish of any bag without proof of purchase. A poster on tPF brought this news forward in September, saying she heard it from a friend who had heard it from Chanel directly. Since then, customers and owners of Chanel bags have become incredibly upset about this change in policy, and the thread has now reached 24 pages and nearly 360 comments.

At first, posters were extremely skeptical; it seemed counterintuitive that a brand with a history of standing behind its products and taking care of its customers would take a step like this. After all, bags typically need repairs and refurbishing as they grow older instead of in the first five years after they’re purchased. But soon after the first tPFer mentioned it, customers started calling their own stores and repair departments to find out more.

Another poster said she spoke directly to the Chanel repair department at the New York City 57th Street location. This poster was told the new rule is that the repair department will no longer re-dye, clean, refurbish or condition any bag more than five years old. They will, however, continue to do other repairs due to normal wear and tear on handbags regardless of the bag’s age.

The five-year rule still seems stringent, especially when so many shoppers collect vintage Chanel bags as well. On top of it all, this ensures that the majority of people who buy their bags pre-owned on the resale market will not be able to take their bags in for refurbishment or repairs as they most likely do not have the original proof of purchase.

Update: Only for refurbishment or refinishing does CHANEL require that a bag be verified as purchased from a CHANEL boutique or authorized CHANEL Multi-Brand Retailer. Proof of location of purchase is not required for other repairs.

As brands continue to raise the prices of their goods, customers who are willing to pay are going to expect more for their money, including quality and service. Many tPFers are particularly irritated that a brand like Chanel would adopt this kind of policy because of the timelessness of its bags; they’re meant to be used and enjoyed for many years, not just a season or two, which makes the five-year timeframe for repairs and refurbishing more puzzling.

And one final blow in the entire debacle is that the repairs department told a different poster who inquired that the brand will not treat your bag for refinishing or refurbishing if you have ever had it worked on by an outside refurbisher. This isn’t entirely shocking–brands like to work on their products and know who worked on them previously–but it is one more letdown for many Chanel owners.

Update: Again, this is only for refinishing or refurbishing, as we cannot guarantee the final outcome if the bag has been previously treated with unknown products or treatments, which could risk damaging the bag.

I called Chanel to check on all of this, and they did confirm the change in policy. If you are worried about finding your receipt, Chanel will be able to look you up in their system and find your purchase, which should take away some fears when it comes to proving original ownership. The person I spoke with explained Chanel prides itself on being able to take care of a bag properly and bring it back to its original state, and that Chanel would not want to cause additional damage to a bag that is older than 5 years and shows more age and wear during the refurbishing process. Chanel must be fielding many calls about its new policy; each rep seems ready to answer if you have any questions.

Overall, this is a major letdown for Chanel collectors and lovers, especially those who knew the previous policy and used it often. The luxury market continues to change, and with one of the most coveted brands choosing this direction, it will be interesting to see if and how it affects the market.

UPDATE: We’ve received a clarification from a Chanel spokesperson on the new policy, which you can read in full below.

Official Statement from Chanel spokesperson

Chanel is absolutely still repairing bags over 5 years old.

Repairs are still performed by our Fashion After Sales department, regardless of the bag’s age.

The change to our policy is on two paid services only.

• Refinishing: The process of re-applying pigment to the exterior of a handbag or small leather good.
  • Refurbishing: A complete overhaul service including refinishing, hardware changes, stitching and/or piping servicing.

These 2 services are still offered with the following updated policy:

• Must be verified as purchased from an authorized CHANEL Retailer location, either a CHANEL Boutique or authorized Multi-Brand Retailer
  • Must be five years of age or under from date of purchase

Like all brands, our service offering is evolving to remain consistent with our customers’ expectations and needs as this service was rarely used by our clients.

This policy does not impact any other repair services currently offered for which there is no change.

Sherre Ann Wallace
Sherre Ann Wallace

I’m just starting to give Chanel the evil eye

Amazona
Amazona

Chanel, drunken with their success, getting a bit too cocky..? Certainly sounds like it. You can’t command such prices without premium customer care and life long commitment to your creations.

Sherre Ann Wallace
Sherre Ann Wallace
Reply to  Amazona

Hit it dead on the head!

L.O.
L.O.
Reply to  Amazona

Blah blah blah blah

JustaGurlinseattle
JustaGurlinseattle
Reply to  L.O.

are you NOT capable of making your point without mocking
people?

Sarah N.
Sarah N.

Oh wait! She said something about a gaurentee though!!

L.O.
L.O.
Reply to  Sarah N.

Ha. Little do you know, I’m a guy! Look at you assuming gender. And excuse me for voicing an opinion and being open about it. Thanks for the calling me illiterate, I appreciate that. I thinks it’s hilarious to read all these comments that people seem to have about a company that thought it was best to adjust a policy in order to enhance some metrics somewhere within that company. You think they don’t know how to run a business, a successful business. You think this changes everything that they ever stood for. THAT SIMPLY MEANS THAT YOU AS A SIMPLE MINDED CONSUMER, DONT KNOW JACK SQUAT ABOUT THAT COMPANY AND WILL NEVER EVER TRULY APPRECIATE IT’S RICH AND LONG HISTORY TO THE FULLEST, BECAUSE THEY WON’T FIX YOUR BAG. A TRUE LOYAL CUSTOMER BETTER YET CLIENT, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, CAN APPRECIATE THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTICED AN AREA OF BUSINESS THAT NEEDED TO BE ADDRESSED. Love these post by the way.

Sarah N.
Sarah N.

Illiterate I think. Too afraid of misspellings to type anything but blah blah blah. No great loss.

Imgoingbroke
Imgoingbroke
Reply to  Amazona

Lest they forget…the customer is always #1 when it comes to running a successful business NO MATTER how big or small. When customer service decreases, so will sales. Bad move, Chanel. I think you just shot yourself in the foot.

Sparky
Sparky
Reply to  Amazona

“drunken with their success”. Brilliant.

anon
anon

Chanel is starting to get on my nerves.

Sherre Ann Wallace
Sherre Ann Wallace
Reply to  anon

Exactly the appeal of a luxury brand is that you will have your merchandise serviced for the lifetime of the product. Even if it is at cost.

Alli
Alli

Absolutely. I’ve always thought of Chanel bags as investments, but this new policy definitely changes that.

Gloria Pina
Reply to  Alli

I `Started` `WoRking` `from` `COmfort` `OF` My` `HOMe`, By` `Working` `SOmE` very` `Basic` `jObs` That `Only `rEquired` A` `Pc` &` `Internet` `Access` `&` It’s the `Best `Job` I `EVer` `HAd… It’s Been `six` `months` since I` started `This` and i got `Paid` so far in total 36 `Thousand` `Dollars`… Basically I` `profit` `80` `dollars`/hour` And work` for` 3 to 4 h` on daily basis.And the best part about this `Job` is that You get` to `Choose` Yourself when To `Work` and for how long and you Get` a `Paycheck` `weekly.Hope over to“website“ `page` `LINK` Which Is On `Prrof!le` of mine

!1111111

Edia
Edia

is it really?

Sherre Ann Wallace
Sherre Ann Wallace
Reply to  Edia

louise gilliam

My Uncle Noah just got an almost new cream Volkswagen Golf R by working parttime off of a pc online.visit their website on my` prof1Ie`

$eeeeeeeeee

michelle kuhns

%ccccccc

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Edia

Mary Smith
Mary Smith
Reply to  Edia

Yes. It is.

Yazi
Yazi

It’s not strange or puzzling. The brand simply wants you to buy more bags, more often. It’s clever marketing, even if reprehensible.

Megs Mahoney Dusil
Reply to  Yazi

Many new customers will not care or even be aware that this policy existed. But if you push aside your long time customers, it will be a problem. There’s only so much consumers are willing to take and many seem to be hitting that limit with Chanel.

Yazi
Yazi

I think this affects all customers, old and new. The aim is to have people “consume” more bags and stop repairing/maintaining/holding on to their early purchases.

This is damaging for Chanel’s reputation if its bags are perceived as “fast fashion” but perhaps the profits are more important than any other consideration.

Steph
Steph

I have never purchased Chanel before, but after finding out about this new policy, now I never will. I’ve just started exploring premium brands like Hermes and Chanel (just made my first purchase at H recently). I agree with other posters that if I’m spending that much money, I do expect premium service and maintenance (even at a cost) by the brand. Also I am not impressed with Chanel’s leather and craftsmanship. I’ve looked at bags from many luxury brands and Chanel quality does not come close to Hermes or even other less pricy brands.

Mia Thomas
Mia Thomas

Well said Megs

Sherre Ann Wallace
Sherre Ann Wallace

Exactly!

Cheetah405
Cheetah405

Chanel does not seem like a luxury brand anymore.
Mass marketed with lots of “bling”
Classicism gone

Kylee
Kylee
Reply to  Cheetah405

it’s ghetto fabulous now

Michele
Michele
Reply to  Kylee

At $4000 and up?

Pradameinhofgang
Pradameinhofgang

Hermes polished my 1970 Trim – purchased off ebay with no receipt – a year or two ago and even returned It back to me in a new H dust bag. Such a shame Chanel now thinks this sort of customer service is beneath them!

L.O.
L.O.

Blah blah blah

JustaGurlinseattle
JustaGurlinseattle

Well, that is not too cool.
Oh well, Hermes is MORE than willing to work on Vintage Bags,.
If I am spending that kind of money on a bag, I want
the repairs done by that brand.
I bet Hermes won’t mind getting the business that Chanel sadly seems to
not care too much for.

Ghi
Ghi

This policy change is enough to make me never buy another Chanel bag again

Bridget212323
Bridget212323

I thought the whole point of paying 5k plus for a luxury bag is that its taken care of by the brand. What’s the point of buying new if they’re not going to take care of it past the 5 year mark? Chanel bags are lifelong investments – its a shame the brand doesn’t feel that way anymore (it may be time for Karl to go too)

MfuckinPopat
MfuckinPopat
Reply to  Bridget212323

Don’t think Karl makes customer service policies..

Bridget212323
Bridget212323
Reply to  MfuckinPopat

Apparently he does. He shut down all the Chanel outlets b/c he didn’t want the brand to be ‘watered down’

Melissa Wheeler
Melissa Wheeler

Yeah goodbye Chanel i’ll put my hard earned dollars towards a brand who actually seems to care about their product and customer.

Melissa Wheeler
Melissa Wheeler

What impact is this going to take on the historical part too, who’s going to pay $$ for a bag they can’t refurbish ‘properly’ and keep as an heirloom to pass down

kathyjazz
kathyjazz

Wonderful Kirna Zabete sold me a Celine Box bag a few years back and they were SO GRACIOUS about sending my bag back to France for a hardware repair. Sent me a shipping label and everything. I’ve never forgotten that feeling of VIP treatment and it has made me a loyal customer. I bummed that Chanel has made that policy change–but hey at least the hardware can always be repaired. This change, price hikes…NOTHING will stop me from buying from Chanel. Talented, entrepreneurial types can now step in and create a Chanel Clinic for older bags. Viva Free Enterprise!

Loli100
Loli100
Reply to  kathyjazz

It already exists. The Chanel SA referred me to Leather Surgeons.

BabyDietrich
BabyDietrich
Reply to  kathyjazz

This is how I feel. I prob won’t stop buying Chanel bags either… save for couple vintage pieces (they have gold plating on hw anyway so Chanel wouldn’t have touched hw before Oct 1st either) I buy all my bags from boutique. I can always get my bags refurbished by professional refurbishing companies (prob cost less than Chanel too) what they can’t do is get Chanel hw and as long as Chanel is repairing hw on bags w/ proof of purchase… it doesn’t bother me too, too much.

Disappointed, yes, very… just because of what this policy means to the brand… but I don’t know if I could really stop.

I feel bad for people who bought from eBay, etc and don’t have a reciept though…

Loli100
Loli100
Reply to  BabyDietrich

Also feel bad for the many people who received gifts in the form of Chanel purchases and don’t have an original receipt. They have the authenticity card but what good does that do them now.. Or people such as myself who did not buy handbags as an investment but simply for pure joy. Those receipts are long gone.

Debbie
Debbie
Reply to  BabyDietrich

If you refurbish it somewhere else but then have damaged hardware, could they refuse to repair the hardware since you have had the bag serviced elsewhere?

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Debbie

BabyDietrich
BabyDietrich
Reply to  Debbie

According to the policy, yes they could. However since I would be using Leather Surgeon (he has treated my other bags) and Chanel uses LS themselves… I don’t think they would be able to tell! When I discussed this policy with my SA basically I was told not to worry about it…

Megs Mahoney Dusil
Reply to  BabyDietrich

Leather Surgeon is highly recommended on the forum, I haven’t used it myself though.

Madges Hatbox
Madges Hatbox

At the prices of their handbags, refurbishment should be always available. Chanel needs to respect heritage not just pay lip service to it.

sofie2385

By refusing to take care of older bags, Chanel is pretty much spitting on its on legacy. Money talks, so anyone that is unhappy with this change should do a full boycott of Chanel. Share this article on your FB feed. If you have any friends or family members that have expressed interest in purchasing Chanel, let them know of this change.

Jack Neill
Jack Neill

Chanel has been getting greedier and greedier. They used to gold plate their hardware and have much higher standards in terms of quality control. It’s sad to see them declining in product value and service. They used to be so good.

Rashida
Rashida

I won’t invest 6,000.00 on a bag if the seller will not stand by it’s product. Chanel quality has decreased significantly!

Mary Smith
Mary Smith

I was already not keen on Chanel. Hermes and LV will at least let you bring in and old bag for repair. As long as the bag is genuine I see no problem with paying for repairs. But being told no repairs at any price means this is a throw away brand and not something serious.

s3rndpt
s3rndpt

Well, that does it for me. No more Chanel. I simply don’t have the patience for this complete disregard for their customers any more. The brand has now officially, in my opinion, gotten too big for its britches. This is by no means the only reason for me, but the final straw in one long string of ridiculousness from Chanel.

ISCHIASAL
ISCHIASAL

It’s not very nice of Chanel to say this . It will damage the brand big time . All they want you to buy more bags . 5 years old bag for what it cost any Chanel item is crazy . Give your coustmers at least 10 years service . Anyway it’s not free . They charge you big time .

bir
bir

well thats that ….. in all honesty i only needed one more reason to stop shopping at Chanel and this is more than i needed.they might not care if i leave but… in my eyes one client gone is one client gone ! so… .

Lisa
Lisa

I’m slightly embarrassed to admit that I have about 10 Chanel bags. They’re all in wonderful condition but guess what — I’m not buying another one. As other people have said, I’m sure the company doesn’t care one whit, but I’m no longer interested in supporting this brand.

L.O.
L.O.
Reply to  Lisa

Blah blah blah.

JustaGurlinseattle
JustaGurlinseattle
Reply to  L.O.

again with the mocking… Lovely.
Do you have a point? or are you juts here
to be rude to people and mock them?

donald thiede
Reply to  Lisa

In today’s life everyone knows that money is very important, so I want to make everyone’s life easier and provide you financial freedom by telling you about a project that is paying me $10 k or more every month by doing simple tasks that anyone with basic computer skills can do and you need only good internet connection

~~check`my` ~~http website~~~listed~~~on~~~my~~~~{PrIvate}`~~~~~`page` ~~~~~~~!~

dgfdg

Ashley

They’ve singlehandedly stripped the brand of the Classiness it used to have. I’m not sure why they would do this when they have such a HUGE pull in the vintage market. I can definitely see this being a huge blow to the market of their handbags. Just crazy. 6 grand on a bag that I can only have repaired for 5 years. Preposterous!

mochalatte
mochalatte
Reply to  Ashley

They don’t make money from the vintage market. New is where the money is. Maybe that’s the whole point. To kill the vintage market and get people to buy new. Makes perfect $en$e.

Ericca Brock
Reply to  mochalatte

but why dont they just charge extra if the bag is over 5 years . just like a fee system , the higher in age your bag is ,then the more you spend. now, that better $sen$e. I mean there is always a way to make a buck.

Loli100
Loli100
Reply to  Ericca Brock

Ericca they were not taking a loss. The cost for refurbishing a handbag regardless the size or age had already reached $500 minimum.

BabyDietrich
BabyDietrich

No, what they are saying is we don’t care about you if you haven’t/don’t spend enough, as VIPs are exception to this policy!

Y Ajayi
Y Ajayi

I have been looking for what was going to put me off Chanel (mainly for the sake of my bank balance) and this might just be it. Not sure if this policy is world wide as I live in Europe. If the plan is to alienate customers it’s working very well thus far.

Kylee
Kylee

their purses are ugly, gaudy, tacky (free advertisement/status symbols)

Debbie
Debbie

Repairing the bags through Chanel, even within 5 years is not free, correct? If it was a free service, this is more understandable…

kevin
kevin

The repair is not free right? So I don’t think it’s acceptable to not provide the repair service. I think the bags are so mass produced to a point it’s impossible to keep up with the repair demand.

Jenny Flowers
Jenny Flowers

Really ??? The reality is that Chanel wants your bag to wear out so you and I buy a new one at the much inflated prices. I own five and find this very upsetting and also very disrespectful to buyers. Officially done with Chanel. Hopefully everyone else walks from this brand also to teach them a lesson for good on this greedy practice.

flergum
flergum

I like it. This will filter out all those ebay posers from the true list price owners. I like it. as for refurb. those with money dont use it that much, so they dont wear down – 5 years is nothing. mine still look great – as i rotate through many. i see no issue with this.

twoturntables
twoturntables
Reply to  flergum

Wow, really? I hope this is a joke. I’ve paid list price for bags and I’m not silly enough to think I’m in some fictitious special group or somehow better that those who have bought second hand.

Frankly, I was about to buy another Chanel and stopped because I can’t buy a luxury product if the company doesn’t stand behind it.

Rumbabird
Rumbabird
Reply to  flergum

And what about people who may have inherited some cherished Chanels, where the receipts are long gone? Or those who love the beauty and quality of vintage Chanel? Are they “posers” as well? I’m with Kelley. What’s a “poser,” by the way?

JustaGurlinseattle
JustaGurlinseattle
Reply to  flergum

Regardless, of the fact that the Nouveau riche may not care. People
who care about TRUE Luxury will care, it is spitting in the face
of their clients.

Kelley
Kelley
Reply to  flergum

I don’t understand what an eBay poser is. I bought a brand new authenticated Chanel from a lucky lady who received a second one as a gift. She didn’t need it. So we both got a good deal. I still paid over $ 5000. And I live in Manhattan with huge sales tax which I didn’t have to pay on this bag. I pay huge amounts of city and state taxes every paycheck. Am I a poser? Your philosophy is puzzling and nonsensical

Scottsdale Kim
Scottsdale Kim

I purchased a cerf tote three years ago at Nordstroms and within a year of careful use, the dye on numerous corners was wearing off. Took it to Nordstrom and they honored the fix since it was within a year of purchase. The receipt that arrived with the bag was from a repair company in Pennsylvania. They did a fine job so I wouldn’t be super concerned about finding a proper refurbishing option. Capitalism will present us with options.

Having said that, the purchases that would have been made at Chanel over the last three years have been made at Hermes instead. Over Chanel.

Loli100
Loli100
Reply to  Scottsdale Kim

I too have several Chanel bags. I’m also very conscious of rotating them so that they get even wear. Most of my bags are from the early 1990’s to 1 bag in the early 2000 that, to my surprise, fell apart. When this happened I stopped buying Chanel. It is now that my 1990 bags are in need of refinishing. I took it to the Chanel boutique today and the boutique director informed me they no longer refinish bags over 5 years old. When I asked why her response was that once the leather ages it cannot hold up to refinishes. It all sounded like BS to me. Chanel’s quality must have diminished so much that it can’t handle not even one refinish job. But my handbag is vintage so how is it that that excuse applies to my bags??? There is something more to this story then meets the eye and I have a feeling it has to do with the secondary market cutting into their profits. And as far as repairs the 2000 bag that fell apart she downright refused to take it in for repair even though she admitted that Chanel did have issues with some linings in the past but oh well too bad for you because Chanel no longer repairs them. She really knew how to irritate me.

Like you I have officially written Chanel off. They should be ashamed. Even LV, with all the quality issues they have been having, still stands by their products and will not refuse a repair job so long as the canvas is not cracked.

Hermes is my top handbag choice but for a more economical purchase it was convenient for me to turn to Chanel. Even though I did not purchase for myself ( I had begun questioning Chanel’s quality) I did occasionally for gift giving reasons. Well no more. Dior has now taken their spot. Good riddance Chanel. Hello DIOR.

ECooper
ECooper

Well, I for one did not actually know about the refurbishment option. But it makes me mad that Chanel is cutting their costs and still raising prices. If the bags are well made, there really shouldn’t be that much repairing and redyeing. I own quite a few Chanel bags and now I am going to be a little more hesitant to carry them.

Rumbabird
Rumbabird

This 5- year policy will inevitably result in 5-year thread, 5-year finishes, etc. That’s just the way economics works. Downmarket bags are made to last longer than that. Chanel is shooting themselves in the foot.

Kelley
Kelley

I bought a brand new authenticated Chanel caviar flap with SHW and all the bells and whistles included from a very nice lady who received one from her (generous) spouse as a gift. She didn’t want to tell him she already has one. So I now am asking her to try to track down a receipt from him. If it needs repairs and if I’m lucky enough to get the receipt, I guess I will have to lie and tell Chanel it was “a gift from my best friend.” I can imagine the scenarios people will have to go through. I really hope Chanel revokes this greedy policy. Otherwise my money will next go to Celine and Dior!!

Dorothy
Dorothy

Does anyone know if this is just for handbags or are SLGs & costume jewelry included?!

Divnanata
Divnanata

Ironically, my sister and I ( longtime TPF members) recently each purchased yet another Chanel bag. This time we bought new from Saks and qualified for triple points. Our Saks Chanel department does an incredible amount of business and they’ve even ranked third in North American sales before. We had questioned our wonderful SA about a policy change and she stated that Chanel doesn’t want to deal with dodgy beat up oldies any more. I mean bags, of course. She declared that slightly damaged bags of any age would qualify for repairs.
There is also a business angle to consider regarding the proliferation of vintage Chanel bags. Chanel makes no money from resales. Key point. And there is a superabundance of product out there from all those years ago. Earlier bags were not as pricey. Naturally most customers would gravitate towards cheaper Chanel bags and the brand suffers from so many wonky bags sullying up the fashion arena. This new policy helps discourage the selling of raggedy, dilapidated bags which would bring nothing positive to the house.
I’m as disappointed as most. Our SA also mentioned that Chanel’s tracking of customers through sales receipts has become extremely sophisticated. All this stems from their fight against fakes. I think there is a method to their madness but it is difficult to swallow at these prices. BTW – what is LV’s policy? They have more bags out there than anyone else??

Vicky
Vicky
Reply to  Divnanata

In that case, Ivan understand. But 5-year limit is just too short. I have many bags in the closet, not only Chanel and some of them I only wear for a handful of time. What if something accidentally happen on the 6th year?

In that case, if they really fed up with a ragged bag, they should go by stating condition of them. Not by putting a limit on something else that’s totally unreliable regarding the condition, like time. Or just simply tell that customer that her bag is so used beyond repair.

If the bag is so beat up, I think the owner will likely to understand more.

Tee
Tee

I understand the reaction of the general public but I can’t help but think this move is strongly in part of a reaction towards a new generation of luxury consumers. With social media being such a strong force in the fashion market, everyone thinks they’re a luxury brand “expert” because they read reviews and watch YouTube videos. What was once an exclusive brand has become one for the Everyman (not saying that’s good or bad). Chanel’s decision to require proof of purchase for a bag could flat out be a response to the resell market. Are you truly a Chanel client if you’ve never bought something directly from them, and only from resale site? if you bought from a third party, why are you entitled to the brands services and shouldn’t you then have a third party perform repairs? Not saying one way or another, but wanted to put the thought out there..

Sparky
Sparky
Reply to  Tee

I see your point. I can reason with having the receipt, proof you’re the original owner and bought it at a boutique. But the time limit is totally unreasonable. Five years is when you need it treated, not before.

Amy
Amy

Wow, I guess I was extremely lucky. Brought in my grandma’s 10-year-old Chanel for a refurbishment last month and just got it back a week or two ago… Just in time before this shocking news

novinaa
novinaa

WELL I was originally going to purchase a Chanel flap – 2.55 or Reissue but after this, I don’t think I’ll bother. Not to mention I’m not digging the new designs as of late. Possibly becoming a very gauche brand, much like how Louis Vuitton is now. I’ll move onto Hermes thanks.

I’m sure Hermes must be getting a flood of new customers as a result of this haha.

realitytvjunkie
realitytvjunkie

That is ridiculous. I just hope this doesn’t become a trend for other luxury brands

Alex575
Alex575

Sorry to hear that for all you Chanel fans out there. You’d think that Chanel would be more than happy to continue to refurbish an original because it speaks to not only the timelessness of the bag (the older it gets), but also to the quality.

Five years is NOTHING as far as showing wear & tear with normal use on a bag, I carried a Legacy Coach Duffle bag (my first $$ bag that I bought more than a decade ago before I moved onto BAL, Givenchy, Gucci) every single day for close to five years and the bag looked pretty much like it did when I bought it. Last year I donated it to the Goodwill to make space, but Chanel should really rethink this position. Why would anyone want to spend $$$$$ on bag that’s basically dead after five years?

Maya
Maya

Chanel is making a real stupid move there… While their intent is most likely for people to consume more bags, here is some psychology 101, what people “understand”. Chanel is basically saying “our products are disposable”….something disposable is often assimilated to something “cheap”, of a lower quality and something “cheap” is much less desirable…Later Chanel!!

Finem Lauda
Finem Lauda

Is it wrong to laugh at the misfortune of those who bought into Chanhells snobbery? Because rn, I’m on some lucifer shit with how hard I’m giggling.

purse nality (purs3nality)
purse nality (purs3nality)

Thank goodness I am not a fan of Chanel. It’s such a turn off when one pays so much for a bag but get no service after the bag is more than 5 years old. Furthermore, with the declining quality of these big brands, many customers might not want to invest thousands of dollars on a bag or anything that may have issues (Only God knows what …) when the 5-year span is passed. Chanel is probably getting too big-headed with their sales figure. I am so over buying designer brands … Just my 2 cents.

ellavanw
ellavanw

I think I’m out too. I’ve bought all of my chanel bags from either the boutique or from Saks or Bergdorf’s, but I don’t have a single receipt for them. The notion that they wouldn’t repair an evening bag that I bought in 2010 and have worn fewer than 10 times is ridiculous.

domiee B
domiee B

this is new policy sucks, it’s still chanel may it be bought in vintage or pre-owned it’s still chanel it won’t change, gosh maybe karl lagerfeld think’s he can out do Coco chanel.

LTT Leathercare Ltd
LTT Leathercare Ltd

If anyone is needing repairs The Handbag Spa can take care of them for you

Anon
Anon

The Balenciaga store in Singapore has a similar policy too! I brought a limited edition 3 year old city bag in for repair and was told that they only serviced bags purchased in Singapore (not anywhere else), and with proof of purchase! The rationale behind this was to apparently determine the authenticity of the bag in question before servicing it. I’m sure any bag lover would know that each designer bag comes with an authenticity code or marker inside the bag, so really a proof of purchase is unnecessary!
I haven’t had much experience with Chanel or Hermes customer service as I usually send my C and H bags and shoes to an external cleaning company for maintenance. However, I completely understand the frustration of paying thousands for a ‘quality’ bag only to have horrible after-care service. Safe to say I will not be buying Balenciaga products again.
I do have to mention that Dior still has excellent after-care service, not to mention extremely good quality products…buy Chanel 🙂

KloeF
KloeF

I’m curious to see how it will affect the resell market price point.

Jimmy Lin
Jimmy Lin

chanel should have offer free life time repair since they using low cost zipper ( YKK ) they charging 4figures for a bag … at least Lambo or riri ( or even better zipper ) shall be used in their handbags . just my personal opinion … no offense to chanel fans !

Giselle
Giselle
Reply to  Jimmy Lin

Ykk is the industry leader in zippers, it’s not really cheap.

Sparky
Sparky

Maybe one doesn’t need Chanel to refurbish.

A friend’s small LV Epi bag got a gash on one side. She took it to LV and they wanted over $800 for the leather PLUS labor. Believe it or not she took it to a shoe repair place and the guy fixed it for $65. Repair absolutely invisible. Just sayin’…

Most Discussed This Week

Currently Coveting Cassette...

Join The List.

Keep up with PurseBlog by signing up for our newsletter.