When I first saw the Burberry Cartridge Pleat Tote, I thought of gun cartridges. I’m not entirely sure that that’s what I was supposed to think of, and maybe it’s just indicative of my proximity to those that are, in fact, packin’ heat, but that’s what I thought of. And if that’s the picture that the folks at Burberry were trying to paint, then they did a pretty good job. Unlike the soft, ruffly Burberry tote that we featured a few days ago, the patent leather of this bag makes the rows neat and stuff, giving it the appearance of rows and rows of Rambo-like bullet straps. The handles, attachments, and optional shoulder strap are all in smooth leather of the same color, with juxtaposes nicely with the all-over pleating. I think it was wise to do the patent incarnation in a more structured shape than the soft leather, because patent is inherently more structured, and matching appropriate material with appropriate bag structure is one of the most important things a bag designer can do. I don’t like it as much as the soft leather hobo, but that’s just my personal taste – I’m still impressed with Burberry’s bags for this season. This bag appears to be sold out right now, but check back at Net A Porter.
- 30 Bags and the Celebs Who Carried Them at Milan Fashion Week Spring 2015
- 100 Celebs and Their Favorite Chanel Bags
- The 20 Best Bags Under $600 of Fall 2014
- Chanel's Supermarket-Themed Fall 2014 Bags, in Stores Now, Look Surprisingly Wearable
- 60 Bags and the Stars Who Carried Them at New York Fashion Week Spring 2015
- The 10 Most Expensive Handbags of Spring 2014