In today’s fresh new CC, we meet a project manager hailing from Chicago whose love for bags runs deep! Citing that their greatest journey in life has been the journey towards American Citizenship, this handbag lovers’ collecting journey is also quite the adventure!
At 19, they got a first taste of bag-loving with the passing down of a vintage Coach Bag from the brand’s early days. These days though, CC 198 has acquired a massive collection of bags spanning a slew of enviable brands (and bags!). From a vintage Kelly from the 80s to limited edition Loewe, Louis Vuitton, and Chanel, we’d love to spend a day in this collector’s closet.
Read the full CC below, and don’t forget to submit your own![sc_cc_callout]
Your Age? Yes
Your Gender Identity? Non-Binary
Where do you live? Chicago, IL
What is your occupation? Project Manager
What industry do you work in? Construction
Your annual salary? $150,000
Total Household Income? $280,000
Are you a PurseForum member? Yes
Onto The Bags
How many bags do you own? 41
What bags are in your collection?
1. LV Speedy Bandouliere 25 Damier Ebene
2. LV Neo Noe Damier Azur Blue Braided Handle
3. LV Speedy 30 Monogram
4. LV X Yayoi Kusama 2023 Pochette Metis
5. LV X Yayoi Kusama 2023 Alma BB yellow/black
6. LV Multi Pochette Accesoires with pink strap and khaki strap
7. LV X Murakami Cerises Speedy 25 2005
8. YSL Monogramme Coeur Bag
9. YSL Mini Lou Camera grain de poudre black/black
10. YSL Toy LouLou Navy, antique gold hardware
11. YSL Wallet on Chain dark beige, gold hardware
12. YSL Small LouLou Suede Taupe
13. Bottega Veneta Mini Loop in sunburst
14. Goyard Artois PM black/black
15. Goyard St. Louis GM black/tan
16. Goyard St. Louis GM sky blue
17. Goyard St. Louis PM grey
18. Goyard Petit Flot black/tan
19. Loewe Spirited Away 2022 mini puzzle mint
20. Loewe Small Puzzle Asphalt Grey with gold hardware
21. Loewe Bunny Grey 2023
22. Gucci X Adidas Horsebit 1955 Mini Bag Black
23. Gucci X Disney Mini Vintage GG Supreme Monogram Mickey Mouse Round Backpack Beige Vintage Sun Oil
24. Chanel Iridescent Caviar Quilted Mini Rectangular Flap Bronze 2016
25. Chanel Lambskin Quilted Medium Double Flap Black gold hardware 1989
26. Chanel Velvet Chevron Quilted Reissue 2.55 Clutch Black with gold hardware
27. Chanel Lambskin Quilted CC In Love Heart Waist Belt Bag With Chain Black 2022
28. Chanel Calfskin Quilted 2.55 Reissue 225 Flap Red 2017
29. Bao Bao Issey Miyake Wring SMall Geo Drawstring Bucket Bag
30. Launer Viola Red Patent with Beige Patent Gusset
31. Strathberry Nano Tote Black w Silver Hardware
32. Alaia Grommet Heart Bag
33. Joseph Duclos Diane Bag 20 Ardoise gold hardware, red passamanterie strap
34. Hermès 1987 Kelly 28 Retourne Box Calf Noir Gold Hardware
35. Hermès Herbag black/ebene
36. Hermès Evelyne III 29 in Noir with Gold Hardware
37. Dior Mini Lady Dior Black Patent
38. Chanel WOC light brown with gold hardware 23A
39. LV Monoglam Neverfull
40. LV Monoglam Loop (gold/vachetta)
41. Valentino Rockstud camera bag (cream)
42. Coach Court Bag from 1995
How much is your collection worth? Approximately $80,000 USD
What is your most expensive bag? Hermès Kelly 28 Retourne
Do you ever regret any of your bag purchases? If so, which ones and why? Bottega Veneta Mini Loop. Strap is too thin and I’m afraid it will break.
What age did you get your first designer bag, and what was it? 19. Coach Court Bag.
Is there a specific bag you are looking to purchase next?
Hermès Della Cavellera
Bao Bao Issey Miyake Tote
Chanel Mini 2.55 Square in Chocolate Brown from 23A
Do you have a ‘holy grail’ dream bag you’ve always wanted to own?
Hermès Birkin 30 in Berenia Faubourg
Hermès Kelly 25
Chanel 2.55 in Jersey
Any particular bag that holds a special sentimental value? Coach Court Bag from 1995 my grandmother bought my mom and my mom passed down to me.
Do you feel like your bags change people’s perceptions of you or how you’re treated? Not to the people who know me well. But strangers and people at work and acquaintances might. I try to limit the number of designer bags I use at work.
How do you take care of your bags? Not as well as I should. Half are in dust bags. Some have organizers. Most are just on shelves in my closet. I try to keep them away from sun and humidity.
How often do you buy new bags? Several times a year
Do you prefer shopping for bags online or in-store? Why? In-store. I like to see the bags and share excitement with an enabling SA.
Which stores do you frequent the most? Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Louis Vuitton.
Have you ever returned a bag after purchasing it? Why did you make that decision? Yes. Had a bag that was too similar,
Do you ever buy second-hand bags? Where do you buy used? Fashionphile and Whatgoesaroundcomesaround.
Do you sell old bags to pay for new purchases? No.
Do you ever donate or gift your old bags? If so, to whom? Yes, friends and family.
Do you ever feel societal pressure to purchase more bags? No. I feel pressure to have less.
Do you consider your bag purchases investments? No.
Do you follow the latest fashion trends when deciding on your next purchase, or do you prefer classic styles? I am willing to spend more on classic styles. But I like trendy stuff too.
Are sales associate relationships instrumental to your shopping? Yes. They point out why a bag wouldn’t work for me (saving me money) and also get hyped about new collections and trends.
Do you enjoy shopping beyond just acquiring something new? I have a slight shopping addiction.
Have you ever felt you received inferior service at a store or boutique due to your appearance, ethnicity or gender? Yes. I think because I look younger and am short, SAs that don’t know me tend to not take me seriously at first. However, most SAs are very nice and polite.
My worst experience was actually from another customer at Hermès who was peeved that there were no SAs available (though they told her someone was on their way up shortly). She would loudly sigh with her arms folded in our direction. I could tell she was making the SA helping me uncomfortable. When the SA left to get shoes in my size and I was perusing the RTW rack, the rude customer walked up behind me and stood very close to me in what felt like an intimidating manner. There were very negative vibes directed at me. I assumed it was a combination of my race/ethnicity (I am Filipino but most people think I am Latino), I look younger, and possibly because I am heavily tattooed. I was wearing a Simone Rocha dress, the row flats and goyard petit flot bucket bag. My hair was tied back in a low ponytail and I had a no-makeup makeup look. I was embarrassed for her and felt bad she was making the SA uncomfortable.
What are some factors that may dissuade you from buying a bag, even if you like it? Reports of poor quality. Reports of workers being poorly treated.
Is there a brand you outright refuse to buy? Why? Balenciaga. Ugly designs first and foremost. The green-lighting of that ad campaign combining children and allusions to BDSM. I’m not against BDSM, but don’t include children who cannot consent or understand what they are connected to.
On Budgeting & Perceptions
Who pays for your bags? Myself.
Do you set aside a budget for your bag purchases? Yes.
Have you ever purchased a counterfeit because you couldn’t afford a designer item? Yes. I wanted to see what the super fakes were like. And I couldn’t believe how good it was.
Do you ever hide purchases from your significant other? Yes.
Have your friends or family ever criticized your bag-buying habits? If so, how did you respond? No.
Have you ever made a significant sacrifice to afford a bag? If so, what was it? No.
Do you think your shopping is ever a problem? Have you ever felt like you were struggling with a shopping addiction? Yes. Yes.
I’ve been to an debtors/overspenders anonymous group years ago.
Let’s get personal…
Any other expensive hobbies or passions?
What is your greatest fear? Disappointing my mom.
Which living person do you most admire? No one I can think of.
What or who is the greatest love of your life? Nature
What is your favorite journey you have taken so far? Earning my US citizenship after being undocumented for decades.