You know how people are always trumpeting the fact that particular bags are “versatile” or perfect for “day to night?” It’s kind of a lazy fashion writer’s fall back – everyone that’s reading this is easily sharp enough to figure out that every bag can be worn with more than one outfit. So I figured, why not put my money where my mouth is? Just in time for summer, here are a few ideas for wearing the Kate Spade Folly Beach Benedicta Straw Satchel for both day and night – after all, who wants to pack a bunch of bags to take to the beach?
1. Free People Crinkle Racer Tank Dress: I could see this light little dress thrown over a bathing suit or worn as a regular dress, and versatility is important when packing for a vacation. The pattern is fun and bohemian, plus the material is supposed to be wrinkled, making it very suitcase-friendly. Buy through ShopBop for $128.
2. Kenneth Jay Lane Multi-Layer Necklace: I’m pretty sure it freaks all of us out to travel with expensive jewelry, so now’s the perfect time to show off less pricey pieces. This necklace brings out the green in the dress’s pattern but could also be worn with a variety of other colors so that you don’t have to pack a jewelry look for every outfit. Buy through ShopBop for $80.
3. See by Chloe Flat Criss-Cross Sandals: Don’t make the mistake of being the girl that only brings towering wedges to the beach. Not only does this dress also pick up the blues in the Free People dress, but it lets you do all the walking you need (which can be a lot if you didn’t drive to your vacation spot) without asking for a piggy-back ride at he end of the day. Buy through Bloomingdale’s for $260.
1. Single Silk-Chiffon Leopard Print Dress: If you can’t wear a floaty, asymmetrical, red leopard print dress after dark at the beach, where can you wear one? Tropical locales were made for bright patterns that would be harder to pull off in an urban setting, and this dress is exactly that: wild and a little sexy while still being comfortable and not too skimpy. It’s a graphic statement, but the use of cream instead of graphic white gives it a slightly bohemian note that makes the dress totally work. Buy through Net-a-Porter for $315.
2. Kenneth Jay Lane Gold-Plated Bamboo Hoops: Again, leave the expensive jewelry at home. These earrings are gold-plated for those with sensitive ears and will add a touch of glamour to virtually any outfit in your suitcase. The best part, however, is the price – you don’t have to fret too badly if you lose one in the sand or forget them at the hotel. Buy through Net-a-Porter for $60.
3. Belle by Sigerson Morrison Crisscross Wedge Sandals: You don’t want to be that girl that ONLY wears enormous wedges, but if you’re going to wear a dress like this, you should still bring them. They’re dark and chunky while still being neutral and beachy, which makes them perfect to anchor a dress that has such a loud print. If they were lighter or made a smaller statement, they’d get swallowed up by the outfit. Also, the darker leather ensures that you don’t look like you wandered the mall for hours, holding up your tote bag to every pair of sandals until you found a perfect match. Repeat after me: matchy-matchy is not a good look. Buy through Saks for $240.
Voila! That’s how you get through vacation with just your tote bag. How would you wear it?