After visiting multiple showrooms this past fall the Handbag Trends for Spring 2010 were clear. One of the biggest trends is perforated leather. We saw this being used by Rebecca Minkoff, previewed it with YSL, and Prada is implementing perforated leather for many of their bags.
For Spring 2010 expect to see perforated leather from Prada, to Jimmy Choo, to Burberry, to Bottega Veneta. Prada’s perforated leather has an extremely sporty vibe which is largely due in part to the shape of the bags they are using it on (note the Prada Roll Bag). While Prada’s look is very sporty, we have an array of designers using perforated leather in various ways to give the bags a fresh spring look.
One of my favorite from the bunch is the Bottega Veneta Woven-Trim Perforated Hobo, which features perforated ivory leather. From the look of this bag the perforated leather adds a detail that almost appears as if the bag is made of ostrich skin from afar. Buy via Neiman Marcus for $1980.
Jimmy Choo has really done a beautiful job with their perforated leather bags. We have already covered their Martha Perforated Clutch, which infuses perforated leather with smooth leather as well. Then they have the Bree Perforated Nappa Leather Tote along with the Fracine Perforated Leather wallet, both favorites of mine.
The type of perforation varies by designer. Some are uses larger holes while others are using more uniform small holes. There are also options for bags that only feature perforation in certain spots but not all over. When it comes down to it, adding a perforated leather bag to your collection may be trendy for Spring 2010, but if you choose wisely you may find a bag that works in your collection forever.
Other perforated leather bags include:
- Prada Saffiano Fori Tote [$1350 via Saks]
- Prada Perforated Leather Satchel [$1650 via Saks]
- Prada Perforated Leather Roll Bag [$1,295 via Saks]
- Fendi Selleria Perforated Satchel [$1800 via Saks]
- Burberry Perforated leather hobo bag [$1,195 via NAP]
- BCBGMAXAZRIA Raspberry Perforated Leather Chain Hobo [$238 via BlueFly]
- Chloe Ivory Perforated Leather Kerala Tote [$1,215 via BlueFly]
- Balenciaga Arena Giant Covered City [$1,795 via Barneys]
- Foley & Corinna Perforated Crossbody Shoulder Bag [$401 via Saks]