2011 was a year where I began my nail polish obsession. I always enjoyed a good manicure but I never loved painting my own nails and I relied on salons to get the job done. I owned all of 5 polishes. But then something clicked and I became obsessed, and went from owning 5 polishes to now owning over 250 polishes. This is an intense addiction, but it is one where I actually use everything that I buy. I change my manicure every few days and try new polishes and new techniques.
Last week, I asked on Twitter what kind of manicure I should give myself and ginnnyna suggested a newspaper manicure. Truth be told, I never heard of this before but decided to do a google search and see what I could find out. The technique is simple and the finished design is totally nifty.
Also, I have been going bananas for rings and bracelets recently. Because my bags are held by hand, I love making them stand out even more by upping up my accessory game. Both rings in the photo are from Plukka and I am completely obsessed. If you love unique jewelry, check out their website which has a really interesting set up: what they make is what you want and the more people that order an item the less it costs each person.
1. Start off by picking a light colored polish to paint your nails. I choose to put one coat of OPI Apline Snow followed by two coats of Chanel Pearl Drop (511) to give a true white with a touch of shimmer.
2. Let the polish dry completely.
3. Cut 10 small strips of newspaper (large enough to cover your fingernails).
4. Get a small plastic bowl (one you don’t plan to eat out of) and pour a bit of rubbing alcohol inside.
5. Dunk one nail in the rubbing alcohol and let it submerge completely for 5 seconds.
6. Place a newspaper strip on top of that nail and press down firmly and evenly for 15-20 seconds.
7. Remove strip and repeat for all nails.
8. Finish each nail with a top coat to protect and seal the newspaper print.
Easy as that!
Since nails and bags go hand in hand, literally, I plan to bring more manicure ideas and accessory tips to you this year. Vlad is trying to talk me into filming how-to videos, and while I completely dislike hearing my voice played back to me, it could be really fun. What do you think?
P.S. Please consider supporting our small, bag-loving team by clicking our links before shopping or checking out at your favorite online retailers like Amazon, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, or any of the listed partners on our shop page. We truly appreciate your support!