Considering how many of the pre-season preview fight clips came from the fight that we witnes last week and last night on Real Housewives of Orange County, my hopes are not high for this season’s entertainment value. Even after a full week of contemplation and the additional scenes from last night, I still don’t understand exactly why the fight happened or why I should care.
In fact, the most interesting part of last night’s episode was Vicky’s son-in-law making an aside about her skeevy maybe-boyfriend Brooks, who is easily the most compelling character we’ve had on Real Housewives of Orange County in years. He hasn’t even made a cameo on this season yet, but he will eventually, and that’s when this season will really be worth watching.
1. Despite looking it up, Alexis still doesn’t have a firm grasp on the definition of “bullying.” Poor Alexis. Even when she’s in the right, she’s wrong. Was she being bullied in Costa Rica? No, we’ve established that. Was she being bullied at dinner? Probably not, and throwing the word around just makes her sound like a jackass for trying to co-opt the pain of persecuted 12-year-olds for her own PR benefit. All of that makes it hard to remember that Alexis had been more or less perfectly polite since arriving at the party as an invited guest, at which point Tamra blew up at her and Heather and Gretchen joined in. Also, Alexis pronounces it “BOO-leed,” which is at least as annoying as “champs.”
2. Once Alexis had been run off, Heather tried to explain to Tamra why her behavior was wrong. Wait, wasn’t Heather also badgering Alexis until she was forced to leave? Didn’t she take part in that mean girl mob? Am I taking crazy pills?
3. Alexis is on Xanax. Also, she offered to go home and slit her wrists to prove to Lydia that she’s being bullied, which is maybe one of the most dramatic and ridiculous things I’ve ever heard anyone utter on Real Housewives. Also, Tamra had a point – if being on the show and around the rest of the cast means that Alexis has to be on medication, maybe she should reevaluate being on the show. After all, it’s her job to fight with the cast members. Her entire job. Maybe she’s not cut out for it.
4. Vicky would like you to know that Gretchen is stupid. She said it about 40 times, as though continuing to say it would somehow manifest it as reality. Gretchen might be annoying and screechy and craven, but she’s not stupid. Vicky’s criticisms would sound a lot more reasonable (and Vicky would sound a lot more articulate) if she actually called it what it is.
5. Eddie maybe just proposed to Tamra to shut her up about getting engaged. Eddie is not interested in helping plan the wedding, or being involved in it at all. Also, he would rather put it off until he has “time” so he doesn’t have to “stress out” over it. I’m only 27, but as I understand it, that’s dude code for, “I put the ring on it, the one with the diamond, so is the other one with the legal significance really THAT important? Please say it’s not, even if it’s just because you’re afraid you’ll look like a bridezilla if you tell the truth.”
6. Vicky’s mom has the same spontaneous rage issues that Vicky has. She got arrested for telling a cop she had a gun. Seriously.
7. Lydia is still new enough to be a good person. Forgive people! Don’t keep score! Don’t show up places where you know you’re not wanted, even if invited! Turn the other cheek! Remember what the Bible says! Housewives are so cute when they’re new.
8. Brooks scoped out prostitutes in Mexico. He tried to conscript Brianna’s husband into scoping them out as well, as though because they’re both dudes, they “get” it and it’s cool. (“It” being “cheating on their significant others with questionably sanitary prostitutes while on vacation,” of course.) Brianna’s husband seemed suitably horrified.
9. Vicky’s son won’t tell her exactly where he lives. If anything’s indicative that you have boundary issues, it’s when your grown kids won’t give you your address because you can’t be trusted with it. Helpfully, Bravo reminded us of what happened last time Vicky knew how to find her son’s apartment, even though it was out of state.
10. Should Ryan and Brianna get final approval over who Vicky has over to the house? On the one hand, Vicky wants them there and they pay to live there, and if someone makes them truly uncomfortable, I can understand not wanting that person around their newborn. On the other hand, I don’t think they have any proof that Brooks is dangerous; he’s just a gross person who’s probably trying to live off Vicky’s money, and, well, she’s a grown woman and can make that decision if she wants to. You can’t save a reality TV star from herself, in my experience.
P.S. Please consider supporting our small, bag-loving team by clicking our links before shopping or checking out at your favorite online retailers like Amazon, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, or any of the listed partners on our shop page. We truly appreciate your support!