This year, footwear virtuoso Giuseppe Zanotti marks 20 years of his eponymous brand, and he’s doing so in highly glamorous fashion. To commemorate the occasion, the company has released Jewel, the first of four anniversary capsule collections, this one featuring Zanotti’s popular flat sandals reimagined in gold with glittering details. These shoes will arrive in a selection of Zanotti’s flagship stores in June, and we were lucky to have the opportunity to ask Giuseppe himself a few questions about his illustrious history as one of the shoe biz’s biggest names.
1. 20 years in business with your own brand is quite a milestone. What’s been the biggest key to your personal success in the industry?
I have no specific formula for my success, I just want to create shoes that make women sensual and beautiful. I don’t follow any particular fashion trends, I just love women and I love when they wear my shoes with creativity because in the end they are the real fashion designers.
2. How has your approach to design changed since you started designing shoes?
When I start creating a collection there are some constant sources of inspiration. Music has always been part of my design process. Some years ago, I used to be a deejay and I am still deeply connected to music. Whether designing a pair of shoes or making an album it’s the same creative process. Collaborating with musicians was a natural evolution. In the last few years I have been inspired by street style too. I love to travel, listen and see what is going on around the world and absorb people’s culture and energy.
3. Before you founded your company, you worked with some incredible brands, from Valentino to Dior. What motivated you to start your own label?
When I started my career I worked for some incredible fashion houses, they gave me the experience and training to start my own business. It was my dream to be on my own. I wanted to design freely without any restraint, as I have always had a strong point of view and direction.
4. Who is the Giuseppe Zanotti woman? Do you design for an ideal customer in your mind?
The Giuseppe Zanotti woman is in constant evolution, but always sensual, powerful and with a strong personality. Women change so quickly and designers have to constantly follow their needs and desires. I love when I see a young girl and someone her mother’s age wearing the same shoes.
5. Shoe trends have changed a lot in the past few years, especially when it comes to single-soles vs. platforms. How much do those changes influence your design choices?
Whether I am making platforms or flats I always focus on proportions, materials and adding a WOW factor. I work closely with my team of highly-skilled artisans to make sure that every detail is perfect.
All of my shoes are Made in Italy to guarantee the highest quality.